We’ve been there, done that – you’re going on holiday but don’t want to become totally derailed and undo all the progress you’ve made. First and foremost, I think it’s important to remember that you’re going on holiday, and you should relax! This is your time to totally chill out and remove the pressure you put on yourself. However, if you want to practice a couple of methods in order to stay healthy(ish) during your time off, here are my top 5 tips.
- Load up on fruit and veg. You’ll probably notice this becoming a theme throughout my blog posts, but I don’t think it can be emphasised enough. If you fuel yourself with fruit and veg, you’ll not only feel fuller due to the volume, but you’ll also feel great as you’re giving your body tons of nutrients.
- Stop when you’re full. This can be really hard on holiday, especially if you’re treating yourself to a delicious meal out and want to savour every last bite. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do this – YOLO after all, but if you want to avoid that uncomfortable, bloated feeling, then listen to you’re body and when it tells you you’ve had enough, listen! (I’m not a saint and I obviously don’t always stick to this, so don’t worry if you overindulge on holiday!)
- Stick to lean protein, veg and complex carbs. If you’re at a buffet, or you want to work out what the best choice on a menu would be, I would recommend sticking to a plate filled primarily with veggies, then a lean protein and some complex carbs. An example of this would be chicken breast with some veg like broccoli and green beans, and some brown rice.
- Snack on fruit. I find myself wanting to snack a lot on holiday, but a great way to fuel yourself is to keep snacking on fruit! It’ll still satisfy those sweet cravings, but isn’t filled with unpronounceable weird things like in some chocolate bars or sweets.
- Keep active! This can be a really fun one, as you can explore the place you’re in by simply going for a long walk, a run, or even hiring a bike and going on an adventure!
I hope these tips helped you out if you want to keep feeling fab on holiday, but don’t forget that health and fitness will be waiting for you when you get back, so try not to stress too much about it when you’re away!