I have always been a morning person, believe it or not. Even if I get up super early, it only takes me a couple of minutes max to gather the willpower to jump out of bed. As a result, I find mornings to be my most productive time, so I prefer to workout and get everything done before I start feeling lethargic in the afternoons. If you’re not yet a morning person, but really want to become one, here are my top 5 tips!
- Set your alarm a little earlier every morning. This is a gradual change, but is super easy to implement and won’t make you feel like you’re suddenly getting up three hours earlier. Just keep changing it in 15 minute increments, and before you know it you’ll be getting up way earlier and will be feeling super energised!
- Lay out your clothes the night before. Whether it’s gym gear or workwear, if you prepare your outfit the night before, then it’s one less thing you’ll have to think about/factor in time for in the morning. You’ll be thanking yourself when you wake up, trust me.
- Meal prep your breakfast the night before. Another way to reduce the decisions you have to make in the morning and to ensure minimal effort is required – it’s so easy to prep breakfast, whether it be overnight oats or making a batch of granola on a Sunday afternoon!
- Book a class so you can’t cancel it. This is more specific for getting yourself up and working out in the morning. If you know you won’t be able to motivate yourself to get to the gym, book a class! This way, if you cancel it, you’ll have to pay anyway, so chances are the financial incentive will get you up and at it.
- Put your phone across the room before you go to bed so you have to get up. Most of us use our phones to set our morning alarms, but I know that many people are also guilty of repeatedly pressing snooze! If you set your alarm and then put your phone on the other side of your room before you go to sleep, you will not only have a more restful sleep as you won’t be looking at your phone right before you switch the lights off (I suggest reading before bed to de-stress and relax), but you’ll also be forced to get out of your warm bed to turn the alarm off. Once you’re out, you’re super unlikely to climb back in!
I hope these tips help you slowly morph into more of a morning person – it’s a process, don’t worry! If you have any other hacks, feel free to comment them below!